Books by an AAFM member Maj Gen (Ret) Chris Adams — more information at literarywerks.com and available at Amazon
- Inside the Cold War, A Cold Warrior's Reflections — about SAC combat crew duty (Free for active duty and retired from AU)
- Deterrence: Enduring Strategy — about the men and women from SAC leaders to combat crew members involved in deterrence
- Ideologies in Conflict — a detailed history of work in the Soviet Union, Russia, Ukraine, and Belarus immediately after the Cold War ended
Books by former Secretary of the Air Force and AAFM member Tom Reed — available at Amazon
- At The Abyss — personal stories of the Cold War, some recounted by Tom when he spoke at AAFM events
- The Nuclear Express — a history of nuclear weapon development that covers every country that developed or attempted to develop the bomb
- The Reagan Enigma — a history of Ronald Reagan's campaigns for governor of California
- Command and Control by Eric Schlosser — In the author’s words, about “nuclear weapons, the Damascus Accident and the Illusion of Safety.” Source for a 2016 PBS Documentary
- Thunder over Dakota by Lt Col (Ret) George Larson — a history of Ellsworth AFB, SD, that focuses on the Bomb Wing, with chapters about missiles, the Minuteman Missile National Historic Site and the 4 ACCS.
- The US Nuclear Arsenal by Norman Polmar and Robert Norris — a review of every nuclear weapon and delivers system in planned, developed or fielded by the US since the advent of the atomic age.
- History of the 556th SMS at Plattsburgh by John Stone, former Plattsburg NCO and AAFM Member
- Camp Cooke and Vandenberg Air Force Base, 1941-1966 by Jeffery Geige, retired Vandenberg historian.
- Images of America: Vandenberg Air Force Base by AAFM Member Joe Page — A pictorial history covers the base from the early days as Camp Cooke through present day Space and Missile training and launch site.
- Project Emily — Thor IRBM and the RAF by John Boyes, AAFM Member — a complete history of Thor in the United Kingdom.
- Thor Ballistic Missile: The US and the UK by John Boyes — his second book on the Thor
Titan II Handbook by Chuck Penson — a complete review of Titan II, contact Chuck at 4310 N Old Tucson Rd, Tucson, AZ 85743
The Missile Next Door by Gretchen Heffner — a look at our civilian neighbors in the missile fields, biased towards "we shouldn't be there."
DEFCON-2 by Norman Polmar and John Gresham — a history of the Cuban Missile Crisis.
Velocity, Speed with Direction by Lt Gen Aloysius Casey and his son Patrick — the biography of General Jerome O'Malley. Order at aupress.maxwell.af.mil
Titan II by David Stumpf, AAFM Member — an outstanding history of Titan II
TAC Missileers by George Mindling and Bob Bolton — a history of Matador and Mace
Images of America series: Holloman AFB by Joe Page, AAFM Member — including photos of Snark, Matador and Mace at Holloman.
- Space Launch Comples 10, Vandenberg's Cold War National Monument by Joe Page — documents the history of SLC-10 and Thor programs at Vandenberg. The site was used to train RAF crews and later for NRO launches. It is now home to the Vandenberg Museum
- Making of the Atomic Bomb by Richard Rhodes — We have several other good histories of nuclear development in our library
- A Fiery Peace in a Cold War by Neil Sheehan — biography of General Bernard Schriever. Many AAFM Members pointed out errors and misconceptions in his book.
- Not For Ourselves Alone by AAFM Member Gary Conine — the evolution and role of the Titan II in the Cold War. - a history of the Cuban Missile Crisis with conclusions that many members disagreed with.
- Mission with LeMay by General Curtis LeMay and McKinley Kantor — LeMay's autobiography, with candid comments on leadership, ICBMs and much more. Another good LeMay bio is Iron Eagle, and there are several more in our library.
- An Untaken Road by Steven Pomeroy — a history of America's look at Mobile ICBMs.
- Somalia Diary by AAFM Member Bill Sims — his diary of service there during the Black Hawk Down period.
- Titan Tales by AAFM Member John Womack — diary of a Titan II missile crew commander.
- The Changing Culture of the Missileers by Col Larry Hasbrouck, AAFM Member — his stories of missile duty.
- A Fighting Chance — the Moral Use of Nuclear Weapons by Joseph Martino, AAFM Member
- UFOs and Nuke by Robert Hastings, AAFM Member — extraordinary encounters at nuclear weapons sites
- Thor — Anatomy of a Weapon System by Geoff Goodchild, AAFM Member - a look at the technical side of the missile as based in the UK from 1959 to 1963
390th Strateegic Missile Wing
Published by AAFM for our 2012 National Meeting
1998 book with history of ground and air launched missiles, a listing of 5,000 missileers, and bios of over 300 AAFM members
PA Titan II book put togetheer by members of the 390th Strategic missile Wing
Published by Air Force Space Command. A comprehensive history of ICBM development and operation.
AAFM occasionally has copies of books available for purchase - these are usually books donated by members when they have finished with them. Go to the Donations/Store for information.
History, Biographies, and Systems